This easy classic stroganoff is served over silky sour cream mash. With silverbeet added to the stroganoff while cooking it’s a wee bit better for you too! Follow our recipe to make your own stroganoff sauce or use the Maggi meal base sachet if you prefer.
Beef Stroganoff with sour cream mash
- 600 g mashing potatoes scrubbed and diced (peeled if you prefer)
- 300 ml sour cream
- Milk for mashing
- 1 brown onion
- 400 g beef steak cut into thin strips (or use beef stir-fry)
- 250 g mushrooms sliced thinly
- 2 tsp paprika
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp cornflour
- ½ bunch Silverbeet stems removed, and leaves cut into shreds
- A good handful of Parsley chopped
- Add potato to a large pot of cold salted water and bring to the boil over high heat. Boil for 12 to 15 minutes or until potato is very tender. Drain well and let steam dry. Add about half the sour cream and about a small dash of milk. Mash until smooth and combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until just translucent, then add the beef and cook 3-4 mins until browned and remove from the pan. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook 5 mins or until the mushrooms have started to soften.
- Add paprika and cook for 1 min. Add stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and cornflour. Bring to the boil. Add the sour cream, beef and silverbeet and simmer for 4-5 mins or until the silverbeet is wilted.
- Divide the mash amongst plates and top with the stroganoff. Sprinkle a good amount of parsley over it all, and season with black pepper before serving.