This super simple fish supper is very quick and easy to make. You can swap the fish for almost any protein you fancy – grilled chicken, lamb steaks, salmon, pork chops or steaks all work well here. Use fresh or frozen cauliflower.
Pan fried fish with cauliflower mash, and wilted greens
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 large potatoes, chopped into chunks
- butter / milk or olive oil for mashing
- 4 white fish fillets
- 2 cup frozen peas
- 120 g baby spinach
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp butter
- fresh mint or dill
- lemon wedges or tartare sauce
- Add the potatoes to a pot of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for approximately 6-8 mins then add the cauliflower and cook another 5-10 mins until both the potatoes and cauliflower are tender.
- While the potatoes and cauliflower are cooking, heat a frying pan over a medium high heat and add the butter and oil. When the butter is melted, season the fish with salt & pepper and pan fry for 3-4 minutes each side. Add more butter / oil to the pan if needed when turning the fish. Once cooked lay on a paper towel to drain off any excess oil.
- In another pan, add 2-3 tablespoons of water and the crushed garlic then sauté the spinach and peas 4-5 mins until cooked. Drain, then melt a knob of butter through.
- The potatoes and cauliflower should be tender by now, so drain, and mash, adding the butter/milk/oil and season to taste.
- To serve, divide the cauliflower mash between your plates. Top with peas, spinach and the cooked fish. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with fresh mint or dill. Serve with lemon wedges or your favourite tartare sauce.
You can use a stick blender or nutri ninga type blender to get the mash really smooth. You can also microwave the spinach & peas in a covered bowl with a wee bit of water in the bottom if you prefer.
Swap the spinach for silverbeet or kale.