Our summer mash is a firm favourite, combining mashed potatoes with shredded spinach and spring onions, and the tomato relish is so worth the extra dish used to make it.
Sausages with fresh tomato relish & summer mash
- Sausages - (pork/lamb/beef) to suit your appetites and preferences
- 700 g non-waxy potatoes washed
- 2 Spring onions thinly sliced – including the green part
- ½ 130g bag of baby spinach shredded
- olive Oil
Fresh tomato relish
- 1 Punnet of cherry tomatoes halved (or use large ones chopped up)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian / Tuscan seasoning
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar OR red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar or runny honey
- 1 Handful chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse the potatoes, leaving skin on, chop into 1-2-inch chunks and add to a pot of salted water. Boil until tender -12-15 mins.
- Meanwhile, BBQ, grill or pan fry your sausages – if pan frying, add them to a cold pan and heat gently to stop them splitting open.
- To make the relish, heat oil in a medium pan and add the Italian seasoning, vinegar, tomato paste & brown sugar or honey and bring to the boil.
- Add the tomatoes, simmer for 4 mins or until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat, season to taste and set aside to cool.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain and mash with a good glug of olive oil. Mix through the spring onions & baby spinach.
- Serve sausages with mash on the side and relish spooned over, and a parsley garnish.
If you don’t want/can’t be bothered to cook the relish, slice up the tomatoes and mix with the parsley and a tiny bit of olive oil to make a ‘salsa’ instead.
For those that don’t fancy sausages, this recipe works great with a grilled steak, burger patties, chicken breast, pan fried fish or mushrooms.
This mash makes an amazing bubble n squeak / home-made hash for brunch the next day or make extra and add tuna and an egg and form into fish cakes for another meal.