A healthy spaghetti dish full of vibrant greens – you can use fresh or frozen, and top with your choice of pre cooked protein – we’re using shredded roast turkey (from the deli section by the shaved hams). You could use smoked chicken, salmon or feta.
Spaghetti Primavera with shredded turkey (or chicken)
- Spaghetti / Fettuccine – approx. 80g per person
- Olive Oil
- 1 Head of Broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tsp Crushed garlic – or 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 100 g Green beans, halved lengthways
- 1/2 cup Frozen broad or edamame beans
- 1/2 cup Frozen green peas
- 1 Lemon - Zest and Juice
- 1 tbsp Capers in brine (omit the brine)
- 100 g Packet shredded turkey- we use the Santa Rosa brand
- 1 Lemon, cut into wedges for serving
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, following packet instructions, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat approx. 1 tbs oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until starting to soften. Add the green beans, broad beans and 1/4 cup reserved pasta water. Cook, covered, for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Add green peas. Cook, uncovered, for 1 minute or until tender. Add pasta, turkey and another tablespoon of olive oil, the lemon zest and juice, capers and remaining reserved pasta water. Toss to combine. Season to taste.
- Serve in bowls with a lemon wedge or two
You can use any in season green veges in this pasta, traditionally served with spring greens such as asparagus, broad beans, snow peas etc.
Omit the capers if you don’t like them – we find any excuse we can to eat them!
Frozen veg works fine in this recipe – just reduce the cooking time as needed.
Instead of the shredded turkey you could add a poached egg or grilled chicken, a sliced up smoked chicken breast, flaked smoked salmon, tuna chunks or crumble feta through to up the protein.